Operating System Requirements
Depending on what operating system you choose to use on your computer, the system requirements will be different. Obviously, larger operating systems will require more system resources than smaller ones. It is important to know what the system requirements are of your chosen operating system. Here’s a brief overview of what you need to know.
Windows is the most popular operating system in the world today. There are many versions of Windows that have been distributed over the years, and some people are still using some of the older versions rather than upgrading to the newer ones. The system requirements tell the story why.
* Windows Vista – Microsoft’s newest product has rigorous system requirements. To run Windows Vista, you must have a minimum 800 megahertz processor with 512 MB of RAM and a DirectX 9 class graphics card. Your hard drive capacity must have at least 20 gigabytes of memory with 15 gigabytes available. You must also have a DVD-ROM.
* Windows XP – Still one of the most popular operating systems on personal computers today, Windows XP requires lower system requirements. A 300 megahertz processor with 128 MG of RAM is recommended. The video monitor should be a Super VGA (800 x 600 dpi). You will also need a minimum of 1.5 gigabytes of hard drive disk free space.
* Windows 2000 – This version of Windows is also still used by many personal users as well as businesses. You will need a processor with a minimum Pentium 133 chip. The recommended memory is 64 MB with 2 gigabytes of disk space available.
Of course, there are other operating systems available for users to choose. Here are the system requirements for some of them.
* Mac OS X – This operating system is run on Macintosh computers and requires a Power PC, G3, G4, or G5 processor. You should have built-in fire wire capabilities and at least 256 MB of RAM. You need 3 gigabytes of disk space for installation and a DVD-ROM drive for the software.
* Linux – This is a free operating system available for download for users. It requires a 32-bit x86 processor and 4MB or more of RAM. You need a VGA video card and 40 MB of hard disk space to install all modules.
With the different versions of operating systems that are still available for computer systems. The system requirements differ for each one and what type of computer you are using will dictate what type of operating systems you have available to use. Be sure to know your system well so that when you install your operating system, the requirements to run it will meet the minimum standards recommended by the company.
Like this article? Operating System Requirements